Is wood ash Ok for the hens?

Get help quickly from members online

Is wood ash Ok for the hens?

Unread postby patriciasmith » February 20th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Hello everyone,
Tabatha,Agatha and Coral are doing just fine and are laying well. What I wanted to ask is if anyone has any views on adding wood ash to the girls dust bath ?
I have done it once and they seemed to have a great time but I thought it wise to check that it is OK. :smt024
patriciasmith

Re: Is wood ash Ok for the hens?

Unread postby Brahmagirl » February 20th, 2009, 7:11 pm

I hope its OK - 'cos I use it for their dustbaths, too. Also ashes from the solid fuel in the Rayburn! When the bucket of ashes is put down it immediately starts off a communal dustbath - they seem to love it.
Araucanas, Barnevelders, Brahmas, Columbian Blacktail, Derbyshire Redcaps, Marans, Salmon Favorelles, Welsummers, cross-breeds and too many cockerels!
Brahmagirl

Unread postby red1007 » February 20th, 2009, 7:16 pm

woukd think it wouldnt harm them

I use sand though with grit mixed in

Red :smt039
crazy hot days! I want rain!!
red1007

Unread postby patriciasmith » February 20th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Thanks that sounds Ok then. I have a wood burner and it has been seeing a lot of action lately, especially as my old beagle Peanut is totally obsessed with it ! He hogs most of the heat and doesn't go to bed until the last of the embers have died down.
patriciasmith

Unread postby Rhode Runner » February 20th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Wood ash is perfectly good Patricia. On the allotment they always make a beeline for the last bonfire site and establish a dust bath there.

Allan
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Australian aboriginal proverb.
Rhode Runner

Unread postby HuishHens » February 21st, 2009, 9:30 am

Hi guys,

I have put woodash out for the chooks for a long time now, purley because Dad used to years ago and I figured it was ok, BUT, we are boosting our fire with coal now as the dry wood is running low. So, is it still ok for the birds to have as there is coal clinker in it. Mine don't just bathe in it, but eat some too so now I'm wondering if I should put it down or not.....? :smt017 What do you think?

Lynn
HuishHens

Unread postby pipsqueak » February 23rd, 2009, 10:49 pm

I was told by a commercial chicken breeder yesterday that they use it for all their chickens and so did his father and grandfather before him. Apparently it helps prevent red mite
pipsqueak

Unread postby HuishHens » February 23rd, 2009, 11:39 pm

Hi,

I guess it would work in a similar way then to the Diatom, scratching the shell from the mite so it de-hydrates? Thats cool, but my birdies are trying to eat it when there is coal clinker mixed in and thats what I need to know about - is it ok for them to ingest the coal rubbish?

Lynn
HuishHens

Unread postby Rhode Runner » February 24th, 2009, 2:35 pm

My grandaddy used to put all his ash from the fire into the poultry dust bath. It never seemed to harm his birds and he always maintained that keeping a good dust bath going helped keep the birds free of lice.

Allan
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are all just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...and then we return home.

Australian aboriginal proverb.
Rhode Runner

Unread postby blackgundog » February 24th, 2009, 3:53 pm

We put all the ash from our wood burner into the chickens dust bath area, and mix in a bit of sand too. They love it. OH made a covered area for them and it is nicknamed "chicken champneys" now!
blackgundog

Unread postby Layla » February 24th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Hmmm I don't particularly go out of my way to make my girls a dust bath :smt009: as they just use the dry soil underneath their houses am I a bad chicken keeper :smt009: :smt022 :smt040 :smt046
"Once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
Layla

Unread postby pipsqueak » February 24th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I was told that wood ash was good but coal ash wasn't not sure why.

Ours don't have a proper dust bath either but they have a big pile of earth in the garden that they use when we let them out in the garden. We are in the process of building a new big run so going to build a dust bath area in that.
pipsqueak

Unread postby dorinda » February 25th, 2009, 12:04 am

pipsqueak wrote:I was told that wood ash was good but coal ash wasn't not sure why.

Ours don't have a proper dust bath either but they have a big pile of earth in the garden that they use when we let them out in the garden. We are in the process of building a new big run so going to build a dust bath area in that.

I think it's Anthracite dust which is bad for them, not coal, but not certain
12 Breeds
BOB Cochin Scottish national 2010, 2011, 2012 2014 and Reserve 2014 Best opp size Brahma 2012, 2014, BOS Welsummer 2014, BOS German Langshan 2014 Best AOV True 2014 Best Shamo 2014
dorinda

Return to Poultry Clinic